SW 9th Facade Improvement Program – For 2022!
$10,000 single tenant, $15,000 multiple tenants
- 50/50 matching grant that requires 50% owner match
- Grant award up to $10,000 for single tenant commercial property ($20,000+ project)
- Grant award up to $15,000 for multiple tenant commercial property ($30,000+ project)
- Grant funds will be issued on a reimbursement basis upon completion of the project
- The program will be in place as long as funding is available
- Applications meeting all eligibility requirements will be considered on a first-come basis.
- All projects must be completed by November 30, 2022
- Recipients from 2020/2021 program are not allowed to apply until July 1st, 2022
- Property must have frontage along SW 9th Street between Davis and Bundy St. (Just South of Army Post Road)
- Commercial and Mixed Use Properties are eligible
- Property owned by non-profits are eligible (excluding churches)
- National franchises are eligible if locally owned
- Primarily Residential Properties are NOT eligible
- Property must be in compliance with current commercial zoning
- Property/owner must be current on property tax payments and have no outstanding City or County fees or assessment
- Property/owner should not have any other public or private liens or claims or pending legal action except mortgage liens
- If a business tenant is the applicant, the application must also include a letter of support from the property owner and demonstrate that the tenant has a current signed lease of 2 or more years
- All projects must comply with all applicable building permit, site plan, landscape, and zoning requirements
Eligible Uses for Matching Grant
- Exterior property improvements that are visible from the street, roofs if visible from the SW 9th street at the discretion of approval from the Friends of SW 9th committee
- Parking lot improvements are eligible but the project must also include improvements to the building and/or substantial improvements to the landscaping
- Demolition is eligible if part of a redevelopment project that will replace lost tax base, will have a taxable value (not be tax exempt), and the redevelop project will be completed within 1 year
- Up to 10% of the total grant award may be applied to architecture/engineering/design services as part of the total project cost if the project is completed within six months unless written approval for extension is granted by the façade committee
- No reimbursement for self performed work, 100% of materials with submission of itemized receipts
- Personal exit interview with committee member and owner before funds are released
- Applications will be submitted to Friends of SW 9th for review and approval by a review committee
- Grant agreements and project eligibility will be coordinated and decided by the Friends of SW 9th
- All invoices must be submitted to Friends of SW 9th and the project must be 100% complete and pass inspection before a reimbursement check will be issued with proof of payment
- City of Des Moines will have final approval.
The application can be downloaded here.