Friends of SW 9th is a coalition of community organizations dedicated to improving the SW 9th Street Corridor, through planning, community events, and Coalition members include: City of Des Moines, Polk County, Des Moines Community Independent School
District, SW 9th Merchants Association, Des Moines East and South Chamber of Commerce, Indianola Hills Neighborhood Association, Gray’s Lake Neighborhood Association, Watrous South Neighborhood Association, Fort Des Moines Neighborhood Association, Coalition of South-side Neighborhoods, Blank Park Zoo, Neighborhood Development Corporation, Blank Park Golf Course, DART, Christ the King Church, and Warren County Economic Development Corporation.
The first piece of the revitalization strategy is the creation of a corridor plan. This corridor plan will address five target areas: redevelop of blighted properties, encouraging property investment, land use and transportation, improving infrastructure, and promoting the corridor. The planning efforts are being led by tri-chairs Councilmember Christine Hensley and Councilmember Joe Gatto, and John Cacciatore. A draft of the plan is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.
The next piece of the revitalization strategy is the creation and enhancement of special events. There are currently many wonderful events along the corridor planned for this summer. From Zoobrew to the Christ the King Sweet Corn festival, there are many events planned to highlight the corridor. A reocurring event on SW9th is the DSMOPen Street. This open street event will be held on Sunday, September 9thth, 2018 along SW 9th between Park and Watrous.
The final piece of the Friends of SW 9th equation, is community communications. There are many great things happening along the corridor, and our goal is to raise your awareness of them. For instant updates, please like the Friends of SW 9th page on Facebook. If Facebook is not your thing, look for our quarterly newsletter.
The revitalization efforts along the SW 9th Corridor are just beginning. We hope that you see steady progress as the corridor is enhanced. If you have questions about Friends of SW 9th, contact Bill Hansen at email@example.com
For past events, we have had a number of vendors to setup a booth or host activities along SW 9th in the designated area for the event. There is a small fee in order to be a vendor, the amount of the fee is located on the vendor form. The benefits of becoming a vendor for the event:
– Sell or advertise your goods and services to the attendee’s of the events
– Promote your business or organization
– Community involvement and awareness
– Listing on the event map
In the previous events, the amount of vendor participation has been tremendous. We anticipate participation by vendors in 20187 to be equal to or greater then previous years. Attendance by the community has been estimated to be about 7,000 to 10,000 attendee’s. For information, previous event photos and updates please visit the DSMOpen Facebook Page
Requirements and Regulations of Vendors:
1. Space needs need to be reserved 45 days prior to the event.
2. Vendor is responsible for all tables, chairs and setup.
3. No equipment or advertisements shall be fastened to, or posted on any hydrant, light pole, street fixture, tree, bench or other permanent structure.
4. Each vendor must clean his/her area and remove all goods/equipment at the end of the event.
5. No live animal shall be sold, bargained, given or otherwise transferred.
6. Vendors of taxable goods or services must meet State Board permit requirements.
7. No alcoholic beverages to be sold.
8. Liability form must be signed before participating.
9. Liability: DSMOPEN STREET on SW9th Street cannot be held responsible for any lost materials, merchandise, gifts, articles or items, regardless of value.
10. No rain date will be reserved for the event.
11. Vendor must be approved by the DSMOpen Street on SW 9th Committee.
If you are interested in becoming a vendor or an event sponsor, please download and complete either of the following forms. Once complete, please mail your check to Bill Hansen, Friends of SW9th, 3305 SW 9th Street, Des Moines, IA 50315 and email the completed contract to: Bill Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsors: Please click here for Sponsorship Form